- I hope everyone is hanging in there with Week 4 of the Stay at Home order. It’s hard to imagine that the best thing we can do to help ourselves, our families and our community is to stay at home and do our schoolwork, exercise, work from home or just help out around the house. It doesn’t seem very heroic, but it is what our city and country need right now. I found this quote from former President Jimmy Carter:
“Each of us must rededicate ourselves to serving the common good. We are a community. Our individual Fates are linked; our futures intertwined; and if we act in that knowledge and in that spirit together, as the Bible says: "We can move mountains."
Small acts, like staying home, mean a lot right now. Each of us contributes in a small way, that when combined with countless others, will make a big difference in the end. So, with that in mind:
- St. Juliana is offering a virtual Easter Sunday Mass at 5:00 am on Easter morning. Don’t worry about getting up that early – although I suspect that Mr. Stolarski will be up and ready to go! You can watch it any time after that on the parish website. Go to "stjuliana.org".
- Contest #3 Winners: Three guys – Luke, Colin, and Jimmy - tied for first place with 9 correct answers. Chris Z. was a close second with 8 correct answers. Nice work everyone! You find another contest further down in this email.
- Are you able to get outside? It's OK to go hiking or biking if you can get someone in your family to go with you. A couple of miles on the Des Plaines River Trail or the North Branch Bike Trail will help to clear your head and relieve your cabin fever. There is a lot of research about the physical and mental benefits of hiking in the woods.
- Most park facilities (offices, nature centers, bathrooms) are closed, but Forest Preserve trails remain open.
- Maintain physical distancing if you see others on the trail and be sure to cover your sneezes or cough.
- Don’t wait for the next 75 degree day – that’s when the preserves and trails fill up and become a little less safe. A few Forest Preserve areas – mostly in southern Cook County - have been closed because of heavy use and gatherings of too many people. Go out on a cool and windy day when you’ll have more solitude.
- Take your camera or phone along and if you get some good pictures send me a few and I’ll add them to the next newsletter.
I was able to get out for a hike this morning around Beck Lake in the Forest Preserves. Check out this makeshift bridge through a flooded section of the trail.
Prayer During the Pandemic
A Coronavirus Prayer from Xavier University in Cincinnati
Loving God, Your desire is for our wholeness and well-being.
We hold in tenderness and prayer the collective suffering of our world at this time.
We grieve precious lives lost and vulnerable lives threatened.
We ache for ourselves and our neighbors, standing before an uncertain future.
We pray: may love, not fear, go viral.
Inspire our leaders to discern and choose wisely, aligned with the common good.
Help us to practice social distancing and reveal to us new and creative ways to come together in spirit and in solidarity.
Call us to profound trust in your faithful presence,
You, the God who does not abandon.
- Family Life Merit Badge - A reminder from Mrs. Pelrine to email her at email@example.com with information about your projects so she can approve them and you can get started. She is also willing to work with other Scouts who would like to start the badge.
- Youth Protection Reminder – Scouts need to remember that your emails to leaders must be copied to a parent or another leader or both. It is very important to remember this for everyone’s protection. Please do not text leaders and leaders will not be texting you.
- Contest #4: Interesting and Cool Scout Facts!
Don’t forget the rules for the contest.
- You must copy another adult – leader or parent – or your submission will SADLY, be REJECTED!
- You have 48 hours to submit your answers. Responses that are late will SADLY, be…REJECTED!
Here’s the quiz. Good luck!
- Who was the founder of the Boy Scouts?
- The Pathway to Adventure Council’s summer resident camp for Boy Scouts is called what?
- How old is the Boy Scouts of America?
- What are the three highest ranks a Boy Scout can earn?
- What year did the Cub Scout program officially begin?
- There are ____ points to the Scout Law.
- What does the word “Akela” stand for?
- How many of the three Apollo 13 astronauts were Boy Scouts in their youth?
- How many merit badges are required to earn the rank of Eagle Scout? (Today, April 11, 2020 is the 50th Anniversary of their launch date in 1970.)
- Name of the Chicago publisher that brought Scouting to America?
Stay healthy and safe!
Scoutmaster, Troop 965