Summer is rolling up and we’re getting into the busy fall season. There’s a lot of information in this newsletter, so please read it!
- Next Meeting - Monday, September 9 - Ahearn Activity Center
All Scouts under the rank of Star must bring their Handbook to the meeting.
Class A uniforms for everyone!
PLEASE NOTE: No Meeting on Labor Day, September 2
- Des Plaines River Canoe Outing – Saturday, September 7- You MUST RSVP!
Troop 965 is going canoeing on the Des Plaines River in Lake County. We have done this trip from Independence Grove Forest Preserve to Illinois Route 60 before and it’s a great paddle. The water is clear and mostly shallow and there is a good deal of wildlife. We will meet at the Parish Center at 7:30 am to load up the canoes, PFDs and paddles. We plan to be back at St. J by 2:00 pm.
Scouts, leaders and parents who want to go on the trip need to send me an email so we can make sure we have enough canoes, PFDs and paddles.
The permission slip for the outing is on the Troop web site and should be turned in on the morning of the outing. Again, you need to let me know you want to go so I can make sure we have a spot for you.
- Patrol Leader Council Meeting – Mon, Sep 9 – 7:00 – Ahearn Center Lobby
The Patrol Leader Council (PLC) will meet at 7:00 pm sharp in the Ahearn Center Lobby. Please be on time and ready to work. If you are unable to make it, please send me a note before the meeting. Thanks!
- Fall Troop Calendar
The Fall calendar is attached to this email. The calendar has dates and times for camping weekends, Scout Masses, service opportunities, and Patrol Leader Council meetings between now and January 1. Please print the calendar out and post it on the fridge, so you know what’s coming up in the Troop.
Some critical dates to check:
• Camping weekends in September, October and November
• Day trips - September 7 Canoe Outing, December 7 Climbing at VE, January 1 Canoe Outing, some hikes to be scheduled soon
• Scout Mass – The Troop will attend Scout Mass in September, October, November and December.
• Service Opportunities – Edison Park Turkey Trot, Parish Food Drive
• October 21 – Fall Court of Honor
- Rolling Meadows Park District Merit Badge Workshops
The Rolling Meadows Park District is offering four merit badge workshops (Woodcarving, Leatherwork, Painting, Textiles) during the fall. Here is the link to the Park District if you are interested in checking it out: http://rmparks.org/.
- Playdium Swimming Opportunity – Fall Season Starts on October 15
Please check the Troop website (Resources page) for information about swim training and merit badges at the Playdium in Glenview. The Playdium is an excellent place to learn how to swim, become a stronger swimmer and earn Swimming and Lifesaving merit badges. The quality of instruction is top notch!
See you on the river next weekend!
Scoutmaster, Troop 965