I sent much of this information to you last week, but there have been some updates and changes, so please take a few minutes to read through the whole newsletter.
- Next Meeting - Monday, September 9 - Ahearn Activity Center
All Scouts under the rank of Star must bring their Handbook to the meeting.
Class A uniforms for everyone!
- Des Plaines River Canoe Outing – Saturday, September 7- You MUST RSVP!
Troop 965 is going canoeing on the Des Plaines River in Lake County. We have done this trip from Independence Grove Forest Preserve to Illinois Route 60 before and it’s a great paddle. The water is clear and mostly shallow and there is a good deal of wildlife. We will meet at the Parish Center at 7:30 am to load up the canoes, PFDs and paddles. We plan to be back at St. J by 2:00 pm.
Scouts, leaders and parents who want to go on the trip need to send me an email so we can make sure we have enough canoes, PFDs and paddles.
The permission slip for the outing is in the Resource Center and should be turned in on the morning of the outing. Again, you need to let me know you want to go so I can make sure we have a spot for you.
- Scout Mass – Sunday, September 8 – 9:30 – Class A Uniforms
Join your fellow Scouts and Leaders for the first Scout Mass of the year. We need a couple of Scouts to serve as readers. Please let me know if you are interested in helping.
- Patrol Leader Council Meeting – Mon, Sep 9 – 7:00 – Ahearn Center Lobby
The Patrol Leader Council (PLC) will meet at 7:00 pm sharp in the Ahearn Center Lobby. Please be on time and ready to work. If you are unable to make it, please send me a note before the meeting. Thanks!
- Camping Weekend – September 20-22 – Camp Oh-Da-Ko-Ta, Burlington, WI
Our first fall camping weekend is set for BSA Camp Oh-Da-Ko-Ta in Wisconsin. The permission slip is in the Resource Center and will be due at the September 16 Troop meeting. More information will be available at the next meeting.
- Troop Fall Calendar
Please note: The Hiking Day Trip originally scheduled for September 29 has been moved to Sunday, October 6.
Please print the calendar out and post it on the fridge, so you know what’s coming up in the Troop.
Some critical dates to check:
• Camping weekends in September, October and November
• Day trips - September 7 Canoe Outing, October 6 Hike, December 7 Climbing at VE, January 1 Canoe Outing, some hikes to be scheduled soon
• Scout Mass – The Troop will attend Scout Mass in September, October, November and December.
• Service Opportunities – Edison Park Turkey Trot, Parish Food Drive
• October 21 – Fall Court of Honor
- Rolling Meadows Park District Merit Badge Workshops
The Rolling Meadows Park District is offering four merit badge workshops (Woodcarving, Leatherwork, Painting, Textiles) during the fall. Here is the link to the Park District if you are interested in checking it out: http://rmparks.org/.
- Playdium Swimming Opportunity – Fall Season Starts on October 15
Please check the Resource Center for information about swim training and merit badges at the Playdium in Glenview. The Playdium is an excellent place to learn how to swim, become a stronger swimmer and earn Swimming and Lifesaving merit badges. The quality of instruction is top notch!
See you on the river!
Scoutmaster, Troop 965