Key Takeaways from this Newsletter (Read this IMMEDIATELY or your next three meals will consist solely of LIMA BEANS!)
- Next Meeting – Aug 21 – Ahearn Center (Gym)
- Great Open House!
- Court of Honor – Sep 11 – 7:30
- September Camping Weekend – Sep 29-Oct 1
- Take a Hike Challenge
- Next Meeting – August 21 – 7-9 pm – Ahearn Center (Gym)
We will be working on individual rank advancement, hearing about the Des Plaines River float, and playing floor hockey. And we have another BLUE BOX. Be ready for a quiz!
Class B uniforms AND wear a funny or interesting special hat.
- Superdawg Fundraiser
The Superdawg fundraiser is over. Thanks to the Scouts and adults who helped with coupon distribution at church last weekend. I hope you were able to get there for a hot dog, fries, and shake. From all indications, we had a great deal of support from our families, friends, neighbors, and fellow parishioners. I was amazed at how many people told me they were headed over there to support the Troop. It will be a few weeks before we hear how we did.
- Troop Open House
Thanks to everyone who helped make the Open House a success. It looks like we gained three new members for the Troop. Special thanks to Joe P. for inviting two guys to the Open House. Thanks also to Luke and Jonah for putting together a great backpacking display.
- Fall Court of Honor – Monday, September 11 – Parents at 7:30 pm – School Hall
Please mark your calendar for the Fall Court of Honor. The Scouts will be receiving recognition for rank advancement and merit badges they have earned since the spring. We will also see pictures of our latest activities, including summer camp, the Open House, and the Des Plaines River day trip.
It's very important that every Scout has a parent on hand to see them be recognized for the work they did to advance in rank or complete a merit badge. It pains me to see a Scout receive an award and not have someone at his side to share the moment with him. I hope you will make plans to join us on the 11th.
- Fall Calendar is Out!
The Fall Calendar was emailed earlier this week. Please print it and post it so you plan for our activities and outings.
- September Camping Weekend – September 29–October 1 – BSA Camp Betz
We will be camping with the Webelos Scouts of Pack 3965 at Camp Betz. We will be introducing the Webelos to Boy Scout camping and teaching them some outdoor skills – fire building, cooking, etc. The weekend will also provide opportunities for Boy Scouts to work on rank advancement.
The cost of the weekend is $25.00 per camper. The permission slip is posted in the Resource Center.
- Upcoming Schedule
- Saturday, August 19 – Des Plaines River Canoe Outing
- Monday, September 4 – Labor Day – No Troop Meeting
- Monday, September 11 – Fall Court of Honor – 7:30 pm – School Hall
- Fri-Sun, September 29-October 1 – Tent Camping Weekend - Camp Betz
- Take a Hike Challenge!
We’ll join other local community sponsors to bring you special programming and ideas to Elevate Your Hike each week!
Participation is free and easy with 3 simple steps:
- Sign up online at EEHealth.org/TakeaHike.
- Get out and hike from Sept. 1 to Oct. 27!
- Turn in the Take a Hike! Tracker with 6 completed hikes to earn the Take a Hike! Trail Blaze Award*.
*Must register individually to be eligible. Supplies are limited. Offer is valid while supplies last.
To learn more and sign up, visit EEHealth.org/TakeaHike.
If you have any questions, see Mr. Reese.
See you on the river!
Scoutmaster, Troop 965