Key Takeaways from this Newsletter (Read this NOW or the chocolate chips in your cookies will turn to raisins!)
- Next Meeting – August 7 – Ahearn Center Gym
- Luke’s Eagle Project – This Saturday – August 5
- Superdawg Coupons at Church – August 12-13
- Troop Open House - August 14 – 7-9 PM
- August 19 Canoe Float – RSVP by Aug 14!
- Superdawg Fundraiser – August 14-20
- September Camping Weekend – Sep 29-Oct 1
- Next Meeting – August 7 – Ahearn Center/Gym – 7:00-9:00 PM
Last meeting, we worked on a wilderness survival scenario in which you had to identify the most critical gear for staying safe and making it out. The teams did well in picking out the proper gear and food.
We also distributed Superdawg coupons to every Scout and Leader to share with family and friends. We will have more coupons available next week and they can be printed here.
Next week we will prepare for the Troop Open House which happens on August 14. See below.
The uniform for the meeting is a shirt from one of your favorite places to go on vacation! Be creative!
- Coming Up Soon
- Open House – Monday, August 14 – 6:30-9:00 pm – School Courtyard – EARLY START!
Do you have a friend who might be interested in Scouts? If so, invite him to our Open House on Monday, August 14. We will have demonstrations for prospective Scouts and their parents on fire building, canoeing, setting up a tent, and other Scout skills. We will also have a Flag Retirement Ceremony that evening.
- Superdawg Fundraiser – August 14-20
Troop 965 is collaborating with Superdawg for a weeklong fundraiser. Superdawg will donate 20% of total sales back to Troop 965 for every order placed with our coupon. The coupon was distributed at the last Troop meeting and will be available next week, too. The coupon can also be printed here. You can have a great hot dog and support Troop 965 at the same time. Please print the coupon and give it to your family and friends. You can print as many as you want or make copies. The key is to turn in the coupon when you place your order at either Superdawg location. Your support is greatly appreciated.
- Canoe Float on the Des Plaines River – Saturday, August 19 – YOU MUST RSVP!
We are going canoeing on the Des Plaines River in Lake County on August 19. If you are a parent who is interested in going, please let me know ASAP. We can always use help!
Scouts who haven’t passed the BSA Swim Test may go on this outing if they are accompanied by a parent. Call or email me if you have questions. We will meet at the Parish Offices at 8:00 am and expect to return to St. Juliana by 3:00.
There is no charge for this trip. We will launch from Independence Grove Forest Preserve in Libertyville and finish the trip at the Route 60 landing in Vernon Hills. Every paddler needs to bring:
- personal water bottle filled with water
- sun protection – hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, etc.
- personal lunch and snacks
- personal first aid kit – optional
- camera – optional
- The Troop will provide canoes, paddles, and PFDs
The Des Plaines River in Lake County is clear and warm at this point in the summer. There are shallow sand bars where we can get out and cool off in the water – read water wars! The wildlife is abundant – ducks, geese, heron, deer, signs of beaver, and the rare eagle sighting.
You must pre-register for this outing. If you want to go, you must let me know via email by Monday, August 14. We need to make sure we have enough canoes, paddles, and PFDs. There will be no exceptions for late sign-ups.
- September Camping Weekend – September 29–October 1 – BSA Camp Betz
We will be camping with the Webelos Scouts of Pack 3965 at Camp Betz. We will be introducing the Webelos to Boy Scout camping and teaching them some outdoor skills – fire building, cooking, etc. The weekend will also provide opportunities for Boy Scouts to work on rank advancement.
The cost of the weekend is $40.00 per camper. The permission slip is posted in the Resource Center.
- Upcoming Schedule
- Luke’s Eagle Project – Saturday, August 5 – SJ School Flagpole – 9:30 am
- Monday, August 7 – Troop Meeting
- Monday, August 14 – Troop Open House – 6:30-9 pm – Ahearn Center–Gym
- Mon-Sun – August 14-20 – Superdawg Fundraiser
- Saturday, August 19 – Des Plaines River Canoe Outing
- Fri-Sun, September 29-October 1 – Tent Camping Weekend - Camp Betz
- Troop Website – Please Check It Out!
I am constantly looking at websites for other Scout Troops to get ideas for how we might improve our site – “troop965.org”. I know I am a little biased – because my son Steven who is a Troop 965 Eagle – is our webmaster, but I think we have one of the best Scout Troop websites out there. If you go to our site today, our regular homepage will come up on your screen, but then a cool graphic for the Superdawg fundraiser pops up with an easy way to print a Superdawg coupon. We also have buttons on the homepage for important information families need to have – Summer Camp, health forms, etc. You don’t often see that level of sophistication on Troop websites. Steven also maintains our presence on Facebook.
I want to publicly thank Steven for his unseen contribution to the success of Troop 965.
See you Saturday at Luke’s Eagle Project!
Scoutmaster, Troop 965