Key Takeaways from this Newsletter (Read this NOW or you will wander aimlessly thru life!)
- Next Troop Meeting - July 31 – Ahearn Center Gym
- Owasippe Recap – Thanks to Leaders and Parents
- Troop Open House- August 14 – 7-9 PM
- August 19 Canoe Float – You need to RSVP!
- Superdawg Fundraiser – August 14-20
- September Camping Weekend – Sep 29-Oct 1
- Next Meeting – July 31– Ahearn Center - Gym – 7:00-9:00 PM
We had a short, but fun meeting this week. We looked at pictures from Owasippe and talked about the upcoming canoe float on the Des Plaines River (info below). We also saw some interesting pajama combinations! Even though it wasn’t a contest, Mr. Reese came up with the best sleeping ensemble. Louie Perez had some amazing slippers, and we were left wondering if Chris Z really sleeps in his Scout shirt!
Check out Mr. Reese:
I think we’re all grateful he was wearing pants!
- Owasippe Recap
The Scouts had a great week at Owasippe’s Camp Blackhawk (Go!). The 14 Scouts who went earned a collective 53 merit badges and 4 Scouts completed an accelerated ATV certification course.
- Owasippe World’s Fair
- Ga Ga Ball Pit – Has anyone seen Ellis lately?
- Most of the dining hall food
- Great weather
- Trading Post ice cream, snacks, and pocketknives
Not so popular:
- Sweeping out the Kybo (bathroom) each day
- The storm in the middle of the night Sunday that forced us to take shelter in the kybo for almost an hour.
Thanks to the leaders and parents who gave up all or part of their week to support the Troop. They are Wayne Gulliford, Art Mandelin, Vic Ramirez, Joe Connolly, Lina Grigaitis, and Nick Barone.
- Coming Up Soon
- Troop Open House – Monday, August 14 – 7:00-9:00 pm – School Courtyard
We will host an Open House in place of the regular Troop meeting on August 14th. We will have demonstrations for prospective Scouts and their parents on fire building, canoeing, setting up a tent, and other Scout skills. We will also have a Flag Retirement Ceremony that evening.
- Superdawg Fundraiser – August 14-20
Troop 965 is collaborating with Superdawg for a weeklong fundraiser. Superdawg will donate 20% of total sales back to Troop 965 for every order placed with our coupon. The coupon is attached to this email and can be printed here: Superdawg Coupon. You can have a great hot dog and support Troop 965 at the same time. Please print the coupon and give it to your family and friends. You can print as many as you want or make copies. The key is to turn in the coupon when you place your order at either Superdawg location. Your support is greatly appreciated.
We will be signing up Scouts, parents, and leaders to distribute Superdawg coupons outside of church on the weekend of August 12-13. We need every Scout and a parent to help with this.
- Canoe Float on the Des Plaines River – Saturday, August 19 – You MUST RSVP!
We are going canoeing on the Des Plaines River in Lake County on August 19. It looks like we have enough leaders and parents to run the outing safely. If you are a parent who is interested in going, please let me know ASAP. We can always use help!
Scouts who haven’t passed the BSA Swim Test may go on this outing if they are accompanied by a parent. Call or email me if you have questions. We will meet at the Parish Offices at 8:00 am and expect to return by 2:00 or 3:00.
There is no charge for this trip. We will launch from Independence Grove Forest Preserve in Libertyville and finish the trip at the Route 60 landing in Vernon Hills. Every paddler needs to bring:
- personal water bottle filled with water
- sun protection – hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, etc.
- personal lunch and snacks
- personal first aid kit – optional
- camera – optional
- The Troop will provide canoes, paddles, and PFDs
The Des Plaines River in Lake County is clear and warm at this point in the summer. There are shallow sand bars where we can get out and cool off in the water – read water wars! The wildlife is abundant – ducks, geese, heron, deer, signs of beaver, and the rare eagle sighting.
You must pre-register for this outing. If you want to go, you must let me know via email by Monday, August 14. We need to make sure we have enough canoes, paddles, and PFDs. There will be no exceptions for late sign-ups.
- September Camping Weekend – September 29-October 1 – BSA Camp Betz
We will be camping with the Webelos Scouts of Pack 3965 at Camp Betz. We will be introducing the Webelos to Boy Scout camping and teaching them some outdoor skills – fire building, cooking, etc. The weekend will also provide opportunities for Boy Scouts to work on rank advancement.
The cost of the weekend is $40.00 per camper. The permission slip is available in the Resource Center.
- Upcoming Schedule
- Monday, July 31 – Troop Meeting
- August 7 – Troop Meeting
- Monday, August 14 – Troop Open House – 7-9 pm – Ahearn Center–Gym/School Courtyard
- Mon-Sun – August 14-20 – Superdawg Fundraiser
- Saturday, August 19 – Des Plaines River Canoe Outing
- Fri-Sun, September 15-17 – Tent Camping Weekend at BSA Camp Betz, Michigan
See you Monday night!
Scoutmaster, Troop 965