Key Takeaways from this Newsletter
Thanksgiving is almost here! Check out all the activities we have coming up. Gobble, gobble!
- Next Meeting – November 13 - Gym
- November 18-19 - Camp Reinberg
- Service Project
- Mass with Fr. John
- Thanksgiving Dinner
- Camping Out on Saturday Night
- Christmas Creche Repairs – Sat, Nov 25
- November-December Calendar
- Guide to Chicago Trees
- Next Troop Meeting – Monday, November 13 – Ahearn Center (Gym)
We will be getting ready for the Thanksgiving camping and feast weekend. See below for more information.
Camping/Mass/Thanksgiving Celebration – November 18-19 – Camp Reinberg
You should have received the invitation for the Thanksgiving Celebration (Mass and Dinner) at Camp Reinberg in Palatine on Saturday, November 18.
Please make sure you RSVP by Sunday, November 12 for the dinner. We can’t take reservations after Sunday.
You are invited to arrive at 3:45 pm at Camp Reinberg. Mass will begin at 4:00 with dinner to follow.
Information about Service Project and Overnight Camping
As part of the weekend, we will be going out to Camp Reinberg on Saturday morning for a service project, a camp lunch, and setting up camp for the overnight. There is no charge for this outing. The permission slip can be found on the web and is due at the November 13 Troop meeting. Saturday lunch and Sunday breakfast will be provided for all participants.
Edison Park Turkey Trot Set-Up – Thanksgiving Day, November 23 – 8:00 am
On Thanksgiving morning, we will meet at 8:00 am in front of Suerth Funeral Home on Northwest Highway to help set up the Edison Park Turkey Trot. No need for uniforms and be sure to dress for the weather. The Turkey Trot involves incredible logistics to handle the thousands of runners who participate. It is fun to get a glimpse of some of the behind-the-scenes action. We should be done by 10:30. This is a great opportunity to earn some service hours.
- Creche Repairs and Updating – Saturday, November 25 – 9:00 am
The parish Christmas creche is a little worn and tired, so we have worked with Fr. John about making some improvements and repainting it in time for the Advent and Christmas season.
- November and December Dates of Note
- Mondays, November 13, 20, 27 – Regular Troop Meetings
- Saturday-Sunday, November 18-19 – Service Project, Thanksgiving Mass, Dinner, and Overnighter at Camp Reinberg
- Thursday, November 23 – Edison Park Turkey Trot – Help with Set-Up – 8:00 am
- Saturday, November 25 – Christmas Creche Repairs at Church – 9:00 am
- Mondays, December 4, 11, 18 – Regular Troop Meetings
- Saturday, December 9 – Hike and Bowl – 9:00 am-1:00pm
- Friday, December 22 – Living Nativity Set-Up and Takedown – Time TBD
- December 25 and January 1 - NO Troop Meetings
- Common Trees of the Chicago Region
Mr. Gulliford found a great guide to trees in the Chicago area that was produced by the Field Museum, Morton Arboretum, and the Chicago Region Tree Initiative. The guide will be a great help to earning First Class requirement 5a.
See you on Monday!
Scoutmaster, Troop 965