- Next Troop Meeting – November 21 – School Hall - 7:00 PM
We’ll be having a topographic map symbols quiz and reviewing the Orienteering Hike and the Thanksgiving Celebration from Saturday.
If you came out for any part of Saturday, you may wear a Class B uniform. Everyone else is Class A. Thank you.
We have a busy week coming up with two opportunities for service to the community.
- Edison Park Turkey Trot Set-Up – Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 24 – 8:00 am
On Thanksgiving morning, we will meet at 8:00 am in front of Suerth Funeral Home on Northwest Highway to help set up the Edison Park Turkey Trot. No need for uniforms and be sure to dress for the weather. As I write this it looks like the upper 30s or low 40s with a chance of showers. The Turkey Trot involves incredible logistics to handle the thousands of runners who participate. It is fun to get a glimpse of some of the behind-the-scenes action. We should be done by 10:00.
- Church Christmas Creche Set-Up – Saturday, November 26 – 9:00-10:00 am
On the Saturday after Thanksgiving, we will gather in front of church to set up the parish Christmas creche. We need all hands on deck – especially older Scouts with strong backs - to get everything out of the church basement. Again, dress for the weather. This project never takes longer than an hour.
- Thanksgiving Celebration Wrap-Up
Yesterday was the Thanksgiving Celebration at Deer Grove Forest Preserve and Camp Reinberg. We completed an advanced orienteering course of 15 control points spread throughout woods along a 3-mile-long route. We managed to find every control point on the map!
After five miles of hiking, we enjoyed a hot dog lunch at Camp Reinberg. In the late afternoon, Fr. John Siemianowski joined us to celebrate Mass. After Mass, we moved on to a Thanksgiving Feast of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, vegetables, rolls, and apple and pumpkin pies.
There are many people to thank for making the day such a success:
- Fr. John Siemianowski – Thank you for joining us to celebrate Mass
- Mr. Pete Stolarski – Coordinated all aspects of the dinner including deep-frying three turkeys
- Ms. Kelly Albanito – Sous chef of the dinner who kept things moving in the kitchen
- Mr. Vic Ramirez – Turkey carver extraordinaire
- Mr. Wayne Gulliford – Coordinated the orienteering course and organized the hot dog lunch
- Ms. Virginia Reese – Brought Thanksgiving-themed decorations for the dining hall
- All of the Scouts who helped with the clean-up
- Everyone who donated money to defray the cost of the celebration
- Hiker Direct Outdoor Gear
Hiker Direct is a camping and backpacking gear supplier that offers big discounts to Scout groups. If you are looking for gear to put on your Christmas wish list, this is the place to go. Here is a link to their website:
- Events Coming Up – Mark Your Calendar
- Edison Park Turkey Trot Set-Up – Thursday, November 24 – 8:00 am – Suerth Funeral Home
- Church Christmas Creche Set-Up – Saturday, November 26 – 9:00-10:00 am – Church
- Hike and Bowl – Saturday, December 10
- School Living Creche Set-Up and Takedown – Thursday, December 22 – 5:00 – School Parking Lot
See you Monday night at the Troop meeting.
Scoutmaster, Troop 965