- Next Meeting – Monday, April 11 - 7:00 – 9:00 pm – Ahearn Center
We are in the Ahearn Center Gym for this meeting. There will be opportunities for rank advancement and open gym.
Class B uniforms for everyone. Thank you!
- SCOUTING FOR FOOD – This Saturday, April 9 – 9:00 – 11:00 am – Parish Center
This coming Saturday is the second of two Scouting for Food events. We need everyone – Scouts, parents, and leaders – to turn out for this great cause. We will be working in teams to pick up donated food from homes in the St. Juliana neighborhood. The more people who come out to help, the quicker it will go. We could really use help from parents of Scouts for the pick-up.
Scouts and Leaders should wear their Class A uniforms for this project.
- Upcoming Activities
- April 16 – Easter Vigil Fire at Church
- April 16 – Colin’s Eagle Project – 10:00am–1:00 pm (see below)
- April 18 - Troop Meeting and Court of Honor – Summer Camp Information
- April 24 – Beck Lake/Des Plaines River Trail Hike (see below)
- May 2 – Troop Meeting and Camp Cooking Practice
- May 13-15 – Weekend Camp-Out at Warren Dunes
- A Request from Colin about His Eagle Project
It’s hard to believe that 7 years have gone by so fast, and I am now working on becoming an Eagle Scout. I am grateful for the strong network of support I've had from our troop leaders and my family. I truly would not have gotten this far without them.
My Eagle Scout project will be done at the Wildwood Nature Center in Park Ridge. My project will be building 12 (4’x4’x16”) composite wood planter boxes and relocating plant identification signposts for the Wildwood Nature Center native prairie plant area.
Before any construction can begin the signposts first have to be dug out. I’m looking to arrange for a crew to come out to Wildwood Nature Center on April 16th to dig out the signposts. I will have a sign-up sheet at this Monday's April 11th troop meeting. The scheduled work time is 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. I hope all of you will be able to come help. Lunch will be provided for all volunteers.
- April Camping at Owasippe Cancelled
Unfortunately, we must cancel the three-night camping weekend at Owasippe. Our Scouts come from so many different schools that only a few are on Easter or Spring Break during the week after Easter. We have added a 5-mile hike on Sunday, April 24 (details below) to help Scouts continue to work on rank requirements. We will set our sights on the May 13-15 weekend at Warren Dunes State Park in Michigan. That has always been a favorite of the Troop.
- Beck Lake Hike – Sunday, April 24
The Troop is planning a 5-mile hike at Beck Lake and surrounding forest preserves on Sunday, April 24th. We'll meet at the St. Juliana Parish Center at 10:30 AM. While on the hike, there will be opportunities for new Scouts to work on advancement requirements.
A delicious, hot lunch will also be prepared on the trail for all participants. Parents are welcome to join us on the hike. There is no charge for this event. Please RSVP to Mr. Pelrine by 5PM on Wednesday, April 20th.
Each hiker will need to bring a day pack with the following equipment:
- Insect repellant
- Hat, sunglasses
- At least 1 quart/liter of water
- Trail snacks (granola bars, trail mix, etc.)
- Small notepad, pen, or pencil
- Hand sanitizer
- Permission slip – in the Resource Center
We plan to be back at St. Juliana by 3:00PM.
- Merit Badge College – Saturday, April 23 – Triton College
The Pathway to Adventure Council is offering a STEM-themed merit badge workshop. All the information can be found here - Merit Badge College.
- Summer Camp at Owasippe Dates – July 17-23, 2022
Summer camp information can be here: Summer Camp.
- Health Forms Reminder – Forms are Due by June 6
Just a reminder that 2022 health forms are due to the Troop by June 6, 2022. Everything you need to know can be found on the Health Forms page: Health Forms.
See you at Scouting for Food on Saturday!
Scoutmaster, Troop 965